I’m honestly a little hesitant to list the lessons I’ve learned in my life, mostly because one of the biggest things I’ve learned is how my understanding of the world around me changes with each new experience. Still, there are a few things life (and Grandaddy) has taught me that feel real, true, and important. For Part 2 of the 31 for 31 series, I’m going to share with y’all a list I affectionately call:
What I Know: 31 Things Life has Taught Me (So Far):
- Be kind.
- If there’s a doubt, there’s no doubt at all.*
- Things are rarely black and white.
- When something is shared in confidence, keep it in confidence.
- Three strikes and you’re NOT out.*
- The best cure for a hangover is French Onion Dip, Ruffles, and a Coca-Cola.
- Dancing makes you brave.
- Sometimes it’s okay to hide away from the world. Just tell someone where you’re going, even if you plan to stay in bed watching Netflix and secret-eating.
- Real friends root for your success.
- Let the other guy say no.*
- When you are ready for your guests to leave, put the food away. If you want them to stay longer, bring out more wine.
- Don’t assume you know what other people are thinking.
- If you are going on a date with a boy with whom you’d like to make out, don’t wear sensible shoes.
- The shower is the best place for an ugly cry.
- Fruits/Veggies taste the best when they are local and in season.
- One of the best ways to show someone you love them is by listening to them.
- When you don’t know what a word means, ask. Or look it up. Then use it.
- Tequila shots with a pineapple juice chaser.
- Moving across the country by yourself makes you a freaking badass.
- Say thank you. A lot. All the time.
- Smile at strangers.
- Try not to spit your coffee at strangers when you smile at them.
- If you are a swarthy Italian, it is very okay (and very necessary) to put a spot in your budget for eyebrow waxes.
- You rarely regret doing something that scares you.
- Saying, “Let’s Just See,” is a great way to make something happen.
- Roller skating at 2am while drunk at Burning Man is not an awesome idea.
- Making out with a stranger while on bikes is an awesome idea. Totally worth the bruised legs.
- It’s difficult to be honest with other people sometimes. It’s more difficult to be honest with yourself. Do it anyway.
- Sprinting barefoot down a hotel hallway is the MOST fun.
- There’s always one more thing you can do to influence any situation in your favor.*
- And after that, one more. And after that, one more. Etc, forever.*
(*Lessons from Grandaddy)
What are some things life has taught you? I’d love to hear your own lessons. If you decide to make your own list, be sure to link here so I can read it!